Dermapen(R) is a fractional micro-needling device that works to tighten, lift and rejuvenate the skin. It works to effectively reduce fine lines and wrinkles, stretch marks, and surgical and acne scars. Fractional micro-needling or collagen induction therapy (CIT) uses needles to pierce the skin in a controlled and precise pattern. Compared to other skin rejuvenation treatments, Dermapen is safe on any skin type, has short treatment time and minimal discomfort with virtually no downtime.
Depending on which area is treated, treatment times can vary between 15 minutes to 45 minutes. Please be prepared to arrive 1/2 hour before your scheduled appointment time so topical anesthetic cream can be applied, which makes the procedure much more comfortable. Treatments can be performed every 4 weeks.
What conditions does micro-needling treat?
- Tightens, lifts, and rejuvenates the skin
- Reduces acne scars, surgical scars and other scarring
- Improves the appearance of stretch marks
- Assists in tattoo removal
Who Is a Good Candidate for Micro-needling?
Micro-needling is safe for all skin types.
What Can Be Expected Before, During, and After the Treatment?
Prior to the treatment:
- No Retin-A or tretinoin product applications 12 hours prior to the needling session.
- No auto-immune therapies or products 12 hours prior to the needling session.
- No prolonged sun exposure or sunburns to the needled area 24 hours prior to the needling session.
- Skin should be clean and make-up free.
- If an active or extreme breakout occurs before the needling session in the area to be treated, please postpone your treatment until the breakout resolves.
- Application of a post-procedure serum product is advised after the needling session, and may be purchased from Fine Skin at the time of the procedure.
During the Treatment
The skin will first be cleansed and all make-up removed. Topical anesthetic cream can be applied 15-20 minutes prior to the session and is removed before beginning the treatment to help alleviate discomfort. Depending on the area being treated and the aggressiveness of the session, there can be some slight discomfort, but most patients tolerate the procedure well. Treatment times can last between 15-45 minutes.
After the Treatment
Immediately after the treatment, the skin will likely appear red with mild pinpoint bleeding.
- Gentle, but thorough, facial cleansing within a few hours after the micro-needling session will wash away serum crust and/or dried blood, while enhancing absorption of serum.
- Liberal application of a serum post-procedure product is advised every 4-6 hours for 48-72 hours post-needling to help moisturize skin and help with the wound healing response.
- Regular skin care regimen can be resumed after 48 hours.
- Toners with an alcohol base are to be avoided for at least 10 days post-needling and up to 14 days post-needling.
- Take precautions against sun exposure. No direct sun exposure for 3 to 5 days post-needling. Do not apply chemical sunscreens for up to 24 hours post-needling.
- Do not apply traditional cosmetics for at least 24 hours post-needling.
- Day 1: Redness, or erythema, of the skin can appear, as well as possible pinpoint bleeding. The severity of erythema depends on how aggressive the needling was performed and individual skin type.
- Day 2: Minimal swelling may occur and be more noticeable than on Day 1. A pink or red hue, similar to a moderate sunburn may be present.
- Day 3: Skin may be back to the normal color, or a slight pinkness may persist; swelling subsides.
- Note: some mild peeling is normal and is usually seen around the mouth. If peeling occurs, it is recommended to apply moisturizers. Do not peel off the flaking skin, as this could lead to scabbing and scarring.
How Many Micro-needling Sessions Will I Need?
Benefits of micro-needling can be seen after just one session. It is recommended that 3-5 sessions, spaced 4-6 weeks apart are performed for maximum results. In cases where a more aggressive needling session is needed, such as acne scar revision, a greater number of sessions may be necessary for maximum results.